Thursday, November 19, 2009

Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench- Damien Chazelle


This was a very interesting film done on Black and White, 16 mm film. It had an old style to it, although the movie was based in the present. I really loved the look the 16 mm gave, but I do not know how well it went with the story. The film was more accessing relationships from an outsider's viewpoint rather then following the story itself. This made it hard for me to follow, but eager to figure out what was going on. It was a musical in two ways. The first is that one of the main characters was a trumpet player, so he played a lot in his band and practicing alone. The second reason why it was a musical is because in random parts of the film people broke out in song. This threw me off guard a little bit when it started, but I throughly enjoyed these scenes. In fact, my favorite scenes were of Madeline breaking out in song in a park in Boston, and in a restaurant in New York. Accompanying the song, and instruments was basic dances, and tap. I have always enjoyed tap dance so this was a pleasant surprise to see in the film. I feel this movie could have been made shorter, but I enjoyed the new outlook on viewing relationships Damien Chazelle presented in his first feature length film.

No comments:

Post a Comment