Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Exploding Girl

When I first sat in the theater to watch Bradley Rust Gray's film, "The Exploding Girl," I had no idea what to expect. Was the movie literally about a girl who explodes, or was it just figurative and symbolic? When I settled in and the movie began, I realized that it was just figurative. The story is about a young epileptic woman, Ivy, who lets her childhood friend Al stay with her and also stresses about the weakening relationship with her boyfriend, Greg. It was a beautiful movie and very well done. Although sometimes predictable--every call to her boyfriend would end in "Hey it's Greg, I'm not here right now. Leave a message"--it was overall a great film. It opened my eyes to what people suffering from epilepsy go through. The part that really got to me was when Ivy called her mom and asked her to be there when she took a bath, but her mom had to regretfully decline due to previous engagements. It's a very difficult life; I can't even imagine it. But even with the sadness of Ivy's epilepsy, the movie still manages to bring happiness by demonstrating the care from Ivy's mother as well as Al. Definitely a must-see movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment